Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Monday, October 10, 2005

World's Second-Best Sandwich

When I saw commercials for the movie Spanglish, my two thoughts were these:

1) Not going to go see that movie.

and

2) Damn that sandwich looks good.

I later created what I had figured was the sandwich I saw, and it really was delicious. One of my favorite meals of all time is now this sandwich and a bowl of french onion soup. In fact, that was my dinner last night so I thought I might write something about it here. It turns out I do have a good eye for sandwiches, but I'm not the first to be impressed by it. In fact, the sandwich existed before the movie, and is widely known as "the world's best sandwich." This is not to mention that it is the creation of the famous chef Thomas Keller.

My formulation is slightly different than the original (healthier, too), so I'll provide it. Maybe it's the world's second-best (or most derivative) sandwich.

2 slices crusty bread, toasted
1 slice jarlsberg, swiss or other mild, nutty cheese
2 slices tomato
2 leaves lettuce
1 egg
whole-grain mustard
mayonaisse
mustard
salt and freshly-ground black pepper

I'm always a little insulted when I see recipes for sandwiches or pizza in cookbooks, so I won't demean you with unnecessary instructions here. I will note that a good, fresh egg is essential, and that it be cooked soft, so the yolk can seep into the bread.

Also, I saw the movie and found it to be baffling but unimpressive. I guess I'm also a good judge of movie previews.

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Just saw your comment about the "mock apple pie." I guess my version is more like apple mock pie, since there really are apples! Ritz crackers. Hmmmm....

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing about Spangish, but I "accidentally" watched it on an international flight and it wasn't so bad. Maybe I was just jet-lagged, though!

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say give the movie a chance. I liked it better than I thought I would too. Not perfect, but had some great moments that made it worth watching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home