Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Salsa


I didn't tell my mother until after I was married that my husband just doesn't like her salsa. Last weekend, my mother and I made a big batch out at her house. It's really different from what you generally expect of salsa: no spices or seasonings other than garlic, and rather than being salty, it's somewhat sweet. I grew up on it, and really like it for what it is. To me, it really emphasizes the character of the vegetables that go into it.

9 lbs tomatoes
8-12 green bell peppers
12 jalapenos
6 anaheim chiles
8 medium onions
10 cloves of garlic
24 oz tomato paste
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cup vinegar

Peel and chop tomatoes, and simmer in a large pot until soft. Chop remaining ingredients (I like the garlic to be chopped roughly, so you get big sweet chunks of it), and add to pot. Simmer for 25 more minutes until soft. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, salt and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pack in hot jars, and seal with hot lids. Process 30 minutes for quarts and 25 minutes for pints. Yields 10 quarts or 21 pints.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home