Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I've Got a Sweet Potato Pie In the Oven

I've been in a little bit of a no-cooking funk lately. Andy's done a good job of getting me through it, and has kept my palate entertained with thai food, fennel and caraway-encrusted lamb chops, and caramelized onion and ricotta pasta, amongst other dishes.

As delicious as this funk has been, I think I finally ejected myself from it last night by making Alton Brown's sweet potato pie. This was the first of his recipes I ever made, and I highly recommend it. I was skeptical until I saw that it's topped with pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup. I will eat anything underneath pecans and baked maple syrup.

Last Thanksgiving, my mother asked me to bring a pie. She hates both sweet potatoes and punpkin pie (this pie tastes a lot like pumpkin pie), so I told her I was bringing a surprise to Thanksgiving. No clues allowed.

At this point, I'd been married for about four months, so my mom was hoping that I was going to say I was pregnant. (Who knew the grandchild pressure started so soon?) Imagine her disappointment - no baby on the way and a pie she didn't like.

1 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been married a year now, but I can relate to the grandchild pressure.
We started getting it the night of our wedding. Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home