Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Babies are People Too

I'm not going to comment at length on this, because I don't really know anything about raising kids (See my post about not having a sweet potato pie in the oven.). Still, I thought this article about feeding babies a variety of foods was a great thing to see. When I was a kid, I really had no control over what I ate. If I was going to be picky, I was going to be hungry. Some people I know, however, and a lot of children I know, are rampantly, phobically picky. I've always suspected that starting your kids out on bland food is a great way to kick-start pickiness. As for the obesity angle, I think it also follows that if you're not interested in eating something that's not starchy and white, or trans-fat laden and salty, one of two things are going to happen: you're not going to enjoy eating, and only do it as a chore, or if you like eating, you're going to have a hard time making healthy food choices. And that's hard enough when you're not picky.

1 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Rawdog said...

Very interesting article - I think a lot of baby feeding recommendations are caused by marketing anyway. The only thing they didn't consider in the article is who has to change the diapers. I'd definitely avoid feeding the tykes overly spicy stuff at first.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home