Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Hummus amongus

zuzu at feministe is effusing about hummus (and her immersion blender - I need to get me one of those), which puts me in mind of my favorite hummus recipe that I have eaten so much of that I'll have to probably wait a few months before I make it again. There is only so much dark sesame oil that I can take in a certain period of time.

From the 15-minute gourmet Vegetarian, by Paulette Mitchell

1 tablespoon canola of safflower oil (I substitute dark sesame oil to great effect)
2 tablespoons finely-chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
dash of ground cumin
1 15-oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons fresh lmeon juice, or as needed
2 tablespoons tasted sesame seeds

1. Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until the onion and garlic are softened. Remove from the heat; add the parsley, basil, coriander, oregano, pepper and cumin. Stir just long enough to soften the parsley.

2. Process the garbanzo beans and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Add extra lemon juice as needed so the mixture is spreadable. Add to the onion mixture. Stir in the sesame seeds. Admjust the seasoning to taste.

I'd also like to add a word about this cookbook, because it's a really usful one. They're not kidding with the 15-minute gourmet thing, and have lots of great tips about how to keep a kitchen that can put out dishes within a quarter of an hour. Any vegetarian who is a beginning cook will find it a great resource. Also recommended: Laurel's Kitchen.

3 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger Rachel Luxemburg said...

Instead of pan-frying the garlic, I roast mine in the oven before adding it to the mix. It makes for a really smooth flavor.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use the hummus recipe found in the Sierra Club's Simple Foods for the Pack, and it calls for adding soy sauce (tamari) and tahini. I omit the tahini, but the soy is a great addition.

Hummus is on tap this week in our house, I think this one should be a nice change-up.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend a stick/immersion blender, it makes life so much easier :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home