Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Monday, February 13, 2006

I love you, Internet.

Bad Feminist's post about home economics classes reminded me of the coolest book I have ever laid eyes on, Food Chemistry and Cookery by Evelyn Gertrude Halliday. It's an old, college-level home economics textbook that uses chemistry experiments to demonstrate the principles of chemistry that are used in the kitchen - and at a fairly technical level, too. I had a very hard time returning the book to the library and not "losing" it. I googled it, and lo and behold, the entire thing is available online. Check it out, and you'll have a new appreciation for the chemist-chefs that are making strides in the culinary world.

Cross-posted on F-Words.

1 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

This looks like a great blog.

Could you link to the hummus post on Feministe so I can include you in the latest edition of Trackback Payback?

Thanks!

And the vegan version of your broccoli soup looks great -- I'm making the transition and need good recipies.

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home