Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Torture by Pork

Slow-cooking is best done outdoors or in a crock pot while you're at work. Otherwise, you spend 8 hours smelling the delicious meal that is cooking, unable to really taste it. I put together some pork for burritos this afternoon, and I still have a couple of agonizing hours left before I can eat it.

This is pretty much the only application I use my crock pot for, but it's worth buying a cheap little one to make this. Setting it up the night before you intend to make it, and then throwing it into the crock pot in the morning is something you'll thank yourself for when you come home in the evening to a house that smells amazing, with a hot dinner ready to be assembled.

~2.5 lbs pork sirloin
2 cans diced, peeled tomatoes
2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp oregano
1.5 tsp kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp chili powder
2 pasilla peppers, seeded and diced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1/2 cup roughly-chopped onion

I throw all of this stuff in my crock pot (if the pork isn't completely submerged, I'll add water until it is), leave it on high heat for about 8 hours, and then pull the pork out (using a strainer to keep it from retaining too much liquid). Shredding this pork and adding it to a burrito with beans, rice, sour cream and cheese is a truly amazing experience, especially considering the minute amount of work that goes into making it.

3 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Blogger The Almighty Ajax said...

Excellent choice of toppings, too. Meat, starch, and dairy. None of that rabbit food nonsense!

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I cook and I smell the food that I'm preparing, I lose my appetite. If this happened to me (the pork torture spanning eight whole hours), I'd definitely not eat what I cooked.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe today... wow! Wonderful!

My wife's a little sensetive to the spicier dishes, so I omitted the peppers and substituted a jar of Chipotle salsa for one of the cans of tomatoes and I cut the cayenne measure by about a third. I also used chicken broth for the water.

Other than that, it was your recipe and it was fantastic! I served with tortillas, refried beans and shredded cheese - we made burritos and loved every bite!

We have enough left over for another dinner and a couple of lunches.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll be making it again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home