Orexia

Recipe fantasy to food reality.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Regional Insanity

There are some regional foods that I have to chalk up to regular old insanity. Sweet tea in the South? Salty lemonade in India? I realize that it's a little ethnocentric of me, but I also don't think it's impossible that one's culture will drive them to eat some downright yucky things.

So, I was trying to think of what regional culinary insanity I've succumbed to, and I'm pretty sure it's fry sauce. I love fry sauce. I've heard it claimed that the stuff was invented in Lewiston, Idaho (a mere 40 minute jaunt south of here), though it is hotly debated. I wonder how mixing ketchup and mayonnaise ever had to be "invented," but I suppose it hasn't existed for all time - someone had to be the first.

I don't know what sort of deep fast food love it triggers in me, but I will patronize a burger place based solely on whether or not they provide it. The McDonald's locations around here used to serve it, but it was discontinued a few years ago, and now I don't really see the point of going to McDonald's - even if you really have a hankering for "food."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home